D R . E L R O I

A PERSONAL JOURNAL OF A MAN LIVING WITH HIV

Monday, March 10, 2008

My Calling

I thought the worst year of my life was 2003 and 2004 when I lost almost everything I've got, money, job, some friends, and career. Thank God that my family was and is still there for me. But I was wrong, August 2006 when the most unexpected and worst news anyone could ever received came to me. The result of my HIV screening test was positive! The doctor called me on the phone and asked me to come back for another blood sample to repeat the test for confirmation. I was startled and felt numbed then I cried and cried for hours after hearing that news. After contemplating on that matter I have prayed very hard for that small hope that the result of the confirmatory test will come out negative. I said small hope for the reason that I have a promiscuous lifestyle since early 2003 and the possibility of acquiring that deadly disease was really possible for I had a few unprotected sexual encounters. After more than a month, 1st week of October 2006, it was confirmed that I am positive with HIV!

I can still remember when the doctor was about to tell me about the result, He was obviously worried on how to break the bad news. So to end up his agony, I actually told the doctor that it's alright I can handle it for I am already prepared for it. He gave me all the information he knew about HIV and AIDS and what are the things I should expect in the coming years of my life. What lies ahead for me now? At first, I have no idea what now am I going to do with my life to make the most out of it. I have confessed this dilemma to some few trusted friend and I am so blessed that they still accepted me and did not judged me. I have decided to continue with my life as if nothing happened; I have felt like I am a dead-man walking for the next couple of months. Until one day, I woke up and told myself that it cannot be like this. I need to do something!

January 2007, through the help of a good friend I was able to find an institution that offers free check-up and counseling for people living with HIV or PLWH. That is in San Lazaro Hospital where I met the Christian doctor who eventually became a very good friend of mine, and a spiritual adviser at the same time. When I told her that I want to do something good out of my condition she saw an opportunity to share with me the gospel of Jesus Christ. That same year, it was December when I became a Christian; I have felt that God has a big plan for me. I have learned about Kingdom Living from a book written by a Christian doctor and this is the best tool to prevent the spread of this disease. Teaching people to have a Christ-centered life, and obeying God's word. Abstinence from sex before marriage and Being faithful in marriage. Actually, that is the A and B of the ABC way of living to promote HIV/AIDS awareness and prevention. C stands for the use of Condom if the person is having a hard time doing the first two which I don't really encourage because it gives the impression of encouraging people that it is ok to engage in casual sex as long as you are protected in which it contradicts the teachings from the Bible.

This is what I want to promote, the Kingdom Living to prevent the spread of HIV and to make people aware how important it is to have a Christ-centered life. I have been praying for this to be my calling, to be my ministry and I surmised it was finally answered. A good friend of mine, who is by the way an HIV patient for more than 12 years, referred me to her friend from World Vision when she learned that this is what I want to do. Guess what! They sent me an invitation after giving them my testimony to be a part of the training for their project entitled Channels of Hope; it advocates HIV/AIDS awareness and prevention that involves Christian church to promote Kingdom Living. Just exactly what I have prayed for the last 4 months, the training is set to start this coming April.

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ. He's really working on my life now. Thanks are to God and to God be the glory.

2 comments:

Craig Chamberlin said...

What an incredible testimony! My heart and prayers will be with you as you journey through the life Christ is driving you towards. I am sure it is no coincedence that I came across your article today as I just recently wrote one dealing with the issue of how promiscuity before marriage can decrease the chances of having a successful one.

Your testimony almost brought tears to my eyes, I can only imagine how difficult of a time it was for you. I am so happy you found Jesus through all of this and that he has opened doors and opportunities to you.

God Bless and keep strong! My prayers will be with you.

Craig Chamberlin
http://mywisegeneration.blogspot.com

E L R o i said...

Thank you Mr.Craig Chamberlain I really appreciate your comment on this. By the way, this is only a start and there's more to come that readers can learn from. This is my way of sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ. I know it's very tough to live in godly way in this world we are in now for everywhere is temptation. But once you repent for all the sins you have done and ask for His forgiveness then asking the Lord to come and stay into your heart, you will be filled with His Holy Spirit. This will give you strenght to fight against these temptations and avoiding sin for nothing is impossible with God.

So are you a writer or what? Well, you can send me an email at Dr.ELRoi@gmail.com.

Thank you for your prayers and may God Bless You and your loved ones.

Dr.EL Roi